Sunday, November 29, 2009

Baby's First Christmas

My daughter was born in May and her first Christmas was fast approaching. She progressed so fast, I’m not sure I had a baby but a toddler. Life was so interesting for her and I didn’t want to hold her back in any way. During my maternity leave, I took picture of her crawling. She was so far advanced that any baby I had ever been around. I wanted to make sure that learning and the excitement of accomplishment would continue to be fun and exciting for her. She never wanted to be cuddled or hindered from a view of the world around her. Up to this point, I put a lot of thought in each toy purchase, I wanted so badly to splurge and buy everything for her.

At six months, she was walking everywhere and pointing. I was an older parent and took great delight in explaining and naming each item that she pointed at glancing back at me with a questionable expression. I knew whatever I purchased for her must have an element of learning because she was, at that point, a bundle of activity, so energetic and interested in her surroundings. I knew she loved books, the only time she would sit still was while I was reading to her, and each night she sat on my lap while I read one of the books, she would pick all the while naming the items on each page. I knew she would be talking soon. Foremost on my list were several books.

Next the energetic side of her personality needed an outlet. Activity toys such as a small tricycle should be on my list; instead I found a tennis shoe just the right height with four little wheels, then I found some of the Disney characters that told stories. I then had a “Mickey Mouse” and a “Goofy” that once connected together told stories. These items worried me a little, because the stuffed, talking characters were three feet tall, as tall as my daughter. I was so excited for my daughter, it was difficult to wait for these treasures I found to become her possessions.

Christmas Day dawned bright and sunny. She smiled and giggled with each present that we helped her open. Her little eyes told the story of each delightful surprise. I lined up my purchases, even clothes, so that she could see all the items I had carefully chosen for her. She walked back and forth touching and hugging each item with excitement. She chose the books to be read first, so I obliged. We sat down and I read two books before interest in the other items came as an afterthought to her.

Later in the day, we traveled to my mother’s home for a repeat. My one year old nephew was already there and so excited, he couldn’t stop squealing. The two played together, one following the other until exhaustion overtook them and a short nap was in order.

Throughout the years, I maintained the same ideal that quality toy purchases should have an element of learning. I still have most of the items she received that day in hopes that someday her children might enjoy them as she did.

6 comments:

  1. interesting story about your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to read your stories. I think its so fun to learn stories about someone i go to class with. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds like a lot of fun! my cousin just had a baby so our family is doing everything possible to give it the best first Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds familiar! I do the same thing, also as an older first-time parent.

    ReplyDelete